Saturday, November 12, 2005

Friday, Nov 11, 2005

Remember the Veterans.

My grandfather and my husbands grandfather were both in World War II. One fought on the continent, (my grandfather mentioned the French ladies... Ohh, La, La. Which is how I know he was there). My husbands grandfather was in the Pacific. A glider pilot. We don't know much about what they did other than what is mentioned here, because they didn't talk about it to us. They are both gone now, but they left a plethora of medals that speaks loudly of the horrors they saw. It's sad. I know what those medals signify because I spent time in the US Army myself and we are taught what a soldier would have to have gone through to receive one of the honors. It isn't pretty, and it isn't something a soldier remembers fondly. It's usually hell. A hell that causes the soldier to wake from nightmares, half a century later.

And so, I honor the veterans of all the battles our soldiers have been sent to in the past, to those who are there now, and to the ones that are packing to leave, and thank them for keeping freedom possible. The saying, Freedom isn't Free, is very apt. To the families of the soldiers that are overseas now, stay strong. Thank you for letting your soldier do what they feel they must. That takes a strong being to let them go.

Now I have made myself cry.

Today, I made a large turkey meal. Mostly because it was there, and defrosted. Everyone ate like pigs and went to bed early with sore tummies.

I worked on my SIL's shrug, and watched shows about veterans.

It is late, actually after midnight, but I wanted to thank the soldiers and veterans before I went to sleep.

Again, thank you.

Brenda

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home